[mythtv-users] FC4 & MythTV - Computer powering down... sort of! - FRUSTRATION!!

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Tue Oct 25 19:38:21 EDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 07:33:00AM -0400, Matt Mossholder wrote:
> With regards to running the hard drive in a different system, yes, you
> generally can. There are a few things to be careful with (raid, "special"
> controllers", etc.) which might make this more difficult, but typically it is
> OK. Make sure to clean up any system specific drivers out of /etc/modules (or
> your distro's equiv), and any other hardware that isn't configured by the
> hotplugging system.

Leaving stuff in the modules list/directory is usually not
much of a problem as they usually just fail (noisily).
Consider that most install kernels and "live" distros like
Knoppix include everything plus the kitchen sink so that
they have a better chance of matching the available
hardware.

I usually run with a custom kernel that matches my hardware
exactly.  When moving to another box, I first copy on a
recent knoppix kernel and modules and make that my default
kernel.  Once on the new box I can see what hardware it
found (using dmesg and lspci) and cook a new custom kernel.