[mythtv-users] Seattle Comcast firewire not working as of today -- 5C?

Brian C. Huffman huffman at graze.net
Tue Oct 25 17:01:00 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 13:30 -0700, Andy Alsup wrote:
> Correct, none of the digital channels work, including the locals.  The
> locals is an obvious problem, but I think even some or most of the
> digital chanels should be open too.  I think what we really need is
> full disclosure of what will be protected, and what won't.  My best
> leverage may be that I can say, well, it worked up until now.  If it
> had never worked, I would have a hard time getting past the first
> layer I think.

[snip]

> (ii) To prevent or limit copying, other than first generation of
> copies, of pay television transmissions, non-premium subscription
> television, and free conditional access delivery transmissions; and

Here's the problem.  This says you can only make one copy of "pay
television transmissions, non-premium subscription television, and free
conditional access delivery transmissions."

Well - the only way they can currently guarantee that you can't make
more than one copy is to ensure that you can't make *any* copies...

Thus enter the broadcast flag.  :-(

Correct me if I'm wrong by someone interpretting this differently...but
this seems like a logical loophole for them.

-b