[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Transcode to DVD-compatible MPEG-2 without quality loss?

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 15:46:08 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 13:47, Mike Frisch wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 11:03:55PM -0400, Steve Adeff wrote:
> > I need to see if mencoder requires the ProjectX step or not (I think
> > the mplayer demuxer is able to handle the file without the need
> > though), but i think I might be passing all my recordings through
> > mencoder for processing (ivtc, crop, resize), save as a huffyuv and
> > then open in avidemux2 for commercial cutting and final encode.
>
> How do you tell mencoder to simply remux the file instead of transcoding
> it?

-oac copy -ovc copy -f mpeg (or maybe its mpg?)
should work

> > Which is kinda nice, cause I think one can then setup MythTV to
> > automatically run the mencoder part right after recording(or during? i
> > haven't looked into this part of MythTV yet), with custom settings for
> > the show in question for the shows I want to backup, then take the
> > huffYUV file and edit in avidemux2.
>
> Sounds good!  I haven't tried doing this conversion using ProjectX from
> within MythTV, but that would be very useful.
>
> java -jar ProjectX.jar -out outdir srcfile.nuv
>
> works great from the console without the need for user interaction.

I'm hoping mencoder doesn't require the ProjectX step, and from what I can
see, it doesn't. Of course, the file I just tried it on will now not open in
avidemux for some reason, even though the last couple I ran this through
worked. Go figure. I'm hoping mean (the avidemux2 guy) can figure out the ish
as being able to run:

mencoder inputfile.mpg $1 -oac copy -ovc lavc -of avi -noodml -vf
pullup,softskip,crop=1272:712:0:0,scale=960:528 -ofps 24000/1001 -lavcopts
vcodec=huffyuv:format=422p:aspect=1.78 -o outputfile.avi

while a recording is going will set me up for loading it in avidemux for
commercial cutting and a final encode with XviD and should cut my processing
time down by about an hour.

For those that don't care about cutting commercials, if you use -ovc xvid and
use the xvid options or lavc's mpeg4 (the defaults are great for both, just
give it a final output size) you can fit an HDTV show into 700megs that is
from what I can tell at worse 95% of the original file.

> In the meantime, I've written a quick little perl script that dumps the
> program description, filename, and date so I can see what file is what
> show.

you mind sending out that perl script? I'd find it very useful!

thanks,
Steve