[mythtv-users] Some Quick Questions about MythTV

Joshua Lewis jmlewis at dslextreme.com
Tue Oct 25 15:18:26 EDT 2005

I am seriously considering the MythTV as an alternative to having 5
satellite receivers and DVD players and computers and stuff in my house. I
want desperately to consolidate my house.

I questions is three fold.

One is the MythTV documentation on PDF somewhere or available to download
so I can read it on my way home on the train?

Two: Can I even do what I am trying to do? The Windows XP Media Center
allows you to hook up an X-Box or media extender to TV's so you can watch
your Prerecorded information from a TV not directly hooked to the Media
Center PC. That is what I want to do with MythTV. Although it looks like
MythTV can record my DVD's to disk drive where I can't get a confirmed yes
on that ability for Windows MCPC.

I would like to load all my families DVD's (If they are all loaded the way
I want then I don't have to keep baying new DVD's when my kids scratch
them. I got to get a new Harry Potter this weekend), MP3's and hook up
like 5 TV tuners to the system so everyone can watch and record TV from
there own room. Then I can watch Sci-Fi and Westwing until I am blue in
the face in my bedroom while my wife watches Desperate House Wives and
America's Next top Model downstairs (ok those two shows have enough
hotties that I don't mind so much) but you get the picture. I got Barney
in one room and GI Joe in another and so on and so fourth.

Three: I plan to get a truly beefy system to do all of this. I am looking
into a SARA raid array to prevent data loss and if possible dual core
system (do they make duel CPU Dual Core motherboards) I want to avoid any
kind of Encoding in the main processors. So do I need a certain TV Tuner
to do everything in the tuner and such? Let's pretend money is no object
(unfortunately it is so this will be an ongoing project) how would you
design your system. I know a lot of these questions can be answered by the
documentation but I only have time to read it offline and have not been
able to find a way to print or view it offline.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations and advice.

Thank you,
Joshua Lewis