[mythtv-users] I have a question about Video over firewire?

Derek Tattersall tatters at newsguy.com
Tue Oct 25 08:43:40 EDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 08:32:23AM -0400, Claude Boucher wrote:
> Derek Tattersall wrote:
>
> I have an Explorer 2200 connected to my MythTV system (through the
> S-Video and the RCA out of the Explorer). It works fine, but you'll need
> an IR Blaster to change the channels. The SciAtl boxes do not have a
> serial port, so the only way to change channels from the computer would
> be to use an infrared transmitter.

Some of the Sci Atl boxes have firewire ports. Are they
supported? The IR blaster solution doesn't work for me.

> Once you've setup the transmitter, the rest of the setup is almost
> trivial. In my experience, the audio volume coming out of the digital
> cable is slightly lower than the analog (coax).
>
> As for HD, I haven't tried it. Anyway, you won't be able to capture HD
> at full res with an Hauppauge PVR-250.
>
> Claude

I am aware of that. My questions are more in the context of what is a
good upgrade path to HDTV. I bought a new monitor, a 37" 16x9 HD compatible
LCD display that I am using as (among other things) the display for my
mythtv frontend. Since this thing can display HDTV resolutions, I was
wondering what is the best way to get the digital and HD channels my
Cable operator provides, and if possible, watch and record them through
mythtv.

Thanks

Derek