[mythtv-users] FC4 & MythTV - Computer powering down... sort of! - FRUSTRATION!!

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 00:46:14 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 00:26, David Bennett wrote:
> Matt, I am glad you brought this up.
> I assembled my own board and had no idea what was going on with those
> screws.
>
> Excuse my ignorance, but how should these be screwed? I am not sure
>
> what the following means:
> >Check to make sure all of the holes in the motherboard that
> > are metal lined are mounted with screws to the case, via those screws
> > that have the built in female end at the top.
>
> What is a built in female? There were only 4 screws and 4 "mounts" for
> lack of a better word... (perhaps this is the female.) I wasn't sure
> what went where so I just guessed.
>
> I guess I should make sure that all metal lined holes on the
> motherboard have a screw in them with a "mount" below it? I recall
> there being some metal rings as well and I couldn't figure out if
> those went in between the screw and the motherboard on top or on the
> bottom of the motherboard.
>
> This might explain why when I take apart my computer and put it back
> together it works for awhile...
>
> David

good call, I didn't even think of that, had that problem a LOOONG time ago,
good lesson to learn, its one of those things you'll never let happen again.

as to the question about moving hardware over... yes, as long as linux
supports the hardware and your not doing a major cpu change, moving the
harddrive to all new hardware will work fine, I've done this a few times.

Steve