[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Transcode to DVD-compatible MPEG-2 without quality loss?

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 23:03:55 EDT 2005

On Monday 24 October 2005 22:25, Mike Frisch wrote:
> On Mon, October 24, 2005 4:44 pm, Steve Adeff said:
> > I've used the latest version of ProjectX on my QAM recordings through my
> > HD3000. When I play them back through mplayer the sync is fine. ProjectX
>
> You da man, Steve!  PX seems to be working for me.  At least I am able to
> demux the recorded .nuv file and remux with 'mplex'.  I haven't tried
> playing the DVD in a player, but the audio and video are in sync in the
> remuxed file.
>
> I haven't yet tried to cut commercials though.
>
> > I would like to know if you get this working with your PVR card though, I
> > plan
> > on writing a how-to for the avidemux2 documentation and if I know the PVR
> > output works with the process I can put that info in.
>
> I haven't tried avidemux2 yet but I will and let you know.
>
> So far, so good...  thanks for your help!  Finally something is working to
> my satisfaction!

no prob!

the only caveat is lately I've noticed lots of audio sync problems with
avidemux2, some I've figured out, they're due to mixed progressive and
telecine being used, but some I just don't get. I need to see if mencoder
requires the ProjectX step or not (I think the mplayer demuxer is able to
handle the file without the need though), but i think I might be passing all
my recordings through mencoder for processing (ivtc, crop, resize), save as a
huffyuv and then open in avidemux2 for commercial cutting and final encode.

Which is kinda nice, cause I think one can then setup MythTV to automatically
run the mencoder part right after recording(or during? i haven't looked into
this part of MythTV yet), with custom settings for the show in question for
the shows I want to backup, then take the huffYUV file and edit in avidemux2.
It'll require a bit more storage space, but it will solve the avidemux2 sync
issue everytime and if I can get mencode to run during the recording on the
file I'd end up saving time overall in my process.

Can MythTV run these transcode processes while its still recording? if not, no
big deal, I can't do the mencoder process in real-time, so I can manually
start it a few minutes after the show starts and it would be ready about
30mins after it ends.

Can anyone give me some pointers here?

Steve