[mythtv-users] Hardware Selection for backend

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Mon Oct 24 22:28:25 EDT 2005

Is some of the transcoding done on the backend?  I haven't checked where
it is being done yet..

At any rate if the backend does transcoding then springing for a decent
cpu, especially if a substantially better one is say $20 or so is
probably worthwhile.  Basically I'd look at prices if your buying new.
Sometimes spending only a tiny amount more can get a signifcantly better
cpu, and who knows if you will be using that machine for myth forever..

A quick glance at pricewatch shows
athlon xp 2600 333 $66
       xp 2700 333 $72
       xp 1600 $49

athlon 64 3000 $119  (It might be worthwhile going 64 bit if your going
for brand new equipment,  but it is a tossup I guess.)

I suppose also, if your running it continually, the cost of providing
energy should factor in over the lifetime of the unit, but I couldn't
begin to estimate how that would effect the long term cost.

I do think the nforce recommendation is a good one.  I remember some
posts about via? being less than ideal for the hauppage pvr cards.  I'm
using an nforce 2 board I think cost about $50 from newegg.  On the
other hand, there is probably no reason to go nforce 4, so nforce 2 or 3
is likely good.

Of course if you have something older that will work so you don't have
to buy anything then the solution is simple.

Good luck..
-Robert