[mythtv-users] Does time stretch make your MPEG-2 sound gurgle?

Mark Kundinger mkundinger at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 17:18:51 EDT 2005

--- Mark Kundinger <mkundinger at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 20 October 2005 1:40, Mark Kundinger wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > If I time stretch a recording, the audio seems to get "gurgly"
> > (minor,
> > > sporadic, pitch or tempo changes).  This is most notable with
> > programs
> > > that like to do big dramatic musical scores with lots of violins
> > > (think
> > > West Wing).  The strange part is that even if I set the time
> > stretch
> > > back to 1.0, the gurgling is still there.  However, if I exit
> back
> > > the menu and re-view the recording, sound is fine.
> > >
> > > Most of my recording is done on a PVR-250, so the recordings are
> > > MPEG-2.  I have a MJPEG recorder too, and it doesn't *seem* that
> > the
> > > problem still exists there, although I'm not positive, because I
> > don't
> > > have as many recordings for that.  For sound output, I'm using
> the
> > > Nforce2 sound on my motherboard with Nvidia's driver.
> > >
> > > So, anyone else seen this?  Right now I have no idea where the
> > problem
> > > lies.
> >
> > What decoding method are you using to play back your MPEG-2
> > recordings
> > (normal/ffmpeg, libmpeg2 or XvMC) ?
> >

> Ooh, that's a very good question.  I have no special options
> selected,
> so I'm using normal/ffmpeg.  And I am using a SVN from a week or two
> ago.  I can try out libmpeg2 on my next tv watching bout.

I got a chance to try out this week's recording of West Wing (still by
far the best test case), and the "gurgle" still happened, whether I
used libmpeg2 or ffmpeg.  So I'm thinking the problem is either
MythTV's playback, or something involving the capture.

Can vanilla mplayer or xine do time stretch?  If so, I could try the
recording with those players to see if the gurgle still happens...