[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Transcode to DVD-compatible MPEG-2 without quality loss?

Mike Frisch mfrisch at isurfer.ca
Mon Oct 24 16:04:26 EDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 12:44:21PM -0400, Steve Adeff wrote:
> Have you tried processing your mpeg with ProjectX before encoding? I've had
> great luck using ProjectX, mencoder, and avidemux2 on my ATSC mpeg2 files.

I've had no luck with ProjectX in the past when working with .ts files
from my Twinhan DVB-S card, but I am willing to give it another shot
with MythTV recordings.

> as for quality loss, YOU WILL ALWAYS GET QUALITY LOSS WHEN TRANSCODING. this

Understood and accepted :)

> quality. Now, if your mpeg2 files meet the DVD standards, ProjectX can
> convert to an mpeg2-ps from an mpeg2-ts that should work for DVD's. it just
> remuxes the files without any transcoding.

I am hoping it can do so without error and without losing A/V sync.  The
latter is what seems to be a all too COMMON problem :(