[mythtv-users] best THX/Dolby digital speaker system for price?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Mon Oct 24 14:24:35 EDT 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:
> On Monday 24 October 2005 13:15, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm thinking about buying a digital 5.1 sound system for
>> my MythTV setup. I saw some decent 5.1 capable sound
>> cards on this list a few weeks ago for under $40, and I'm
>> wondering what listers recommend for an inexpensive speaker
>> system with a digital optical input?
>>
>> Has to work with linux/mythtv obviously, but they're mostly
>> OS agnostic, right? Just so long as the sound card works?
>>
>> I'm looking to spend less than $300. I'd like it to sound good
>> for DVDs, music, TV, and gaming, in that order. What do
>> you folks recommend?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> I've yet to see a an all encompasing system for less than $500US that was
> worth the money. If your at all interested in it sounding good expect to
> spend closer to $1000US. My opinion, buy an Energy or Paradigm satelite
> system, which will cost ~$500 and a standalone receiver, a good one can be
> had for $300.

That's out of my league. I'll buy a flat screen TV before I spend that
kind of cash on audio.
I'm currently using an old 2.1 system from 1995. :) I'm just looking to
upgrade to something
that doesn't suck completely and doesn't cost more than $300. Best bang
for at or under $300.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin