[mythtv-users] best THX/Dolby digital speaker system for price?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:21:00 EDT 2005

> I'm thinking about buying a digital 5.1 sound system for
> my MythTV setup. I saw some decent 5.1 capable sound
> cards on this list a few weeks ago for under $40, and I'm
> wondering what listers recommend for an inexpensive speaker
> system with a digital optical input?
>
> Has to work with linux/mythtv obviously, but they're mostly
> OS agnostic, right? Just so long as the sound card works?
>
> I'm looking to spend less than $300. I'd like it to sound good
> for DVDs, music, TV, and gaming, in that order. What do
> you folks recommend?

As far as speakers go, I have found that the HOME THEATER IN A BOX systems
are very well suited to this. They come with a receiver with digital
(optical and coax) inputs and 5.1 speakers and cable to hook it all up. All
you would need is the digital cord (coax or optical) and the sound card. I
am not the person to ask about sound cards. I use onboard NForce2. Good
luck!