[mythtv-users] I have a question about Video over firewire?

Derek Tattersall tatters at newsguy.com
Sun Oct 23 17:11:38 EDT 2005

I have been using mythtv with my Hauppauge PVR-250 for a little while
now, and it is working well. However I am trying to figure out if it is
worth my while to get digital cable service. I don't know very much
about the various digital cable services that are available.
In your opinion, what is the best way to use mythtv with digital cable
service (Time Warner)? What hardware would I need to record the HD
channels? Can I record the HD channels with mythtv?

These are the decoder boxes my cable company provides:

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000, 2100, 2200,  3100, 3200, 3250 or 8000
models

Pace DC-150 or DC-550 HD models

Does anyone have any experience with any of these models? How well can
they be made to play with mythtv?

I would prefer not to have to use an IR Blaster if I can avoid it. I am
already using all the PC's serial ports, and anyway when I last tried to
use an IR Blaster it wasn't very reliable for me. Therefore I want to
use the firewire port for channel control if I can. If I can use the
firewire port for the video that would be even better.

So, any suggestions?

Thanks.

Derek Tattersall