[mythtv-users] Re: Getting the right data for a DVB-C card?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun Oct 23 14:52:44 EDT 2005

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> I installed a new system with FC4and a Terratec Cinergy 1200 DVB-C.
> Getting the card to work was no problem at all. But I have a hard time
> combining program details and the channels.

I figured it out by reading the hints in another thread "how do I assign
XMLTVIDs (was mythfilldatabase problem)" and it started to make sense all
of a sudden.

So for the record (to please those that try this later) and use xmltv to
fetch the data.

 1. Define the DVB-C card (Only Frequenty in Hz and Symbolspeed in S/s are
    relevant) with mythtvsetup.

 2. Fetch the channels with your DVB-C card still inside mythtvsetup.

 3. Fetch the list xmltvid's manually somehow. I used tv_grab_nl_pdb and
    renamed it to tv_grab_nl to make it work as the tvgids.nl site is a
    fast moving target changing bits just to annoy us grabbers ;-)

 4. Assign each DVB channel the proper xmtvid so it can match it later.
    The file ~/.xmltv/tv_grab_nl.conf was my guide. This is still inside
    mythtvsetup!

 5. Now run mythfilldatabase and look in awe and wonder how your TV guide
    is filled.

If anything goes wrong and you did not use the proper ID on a channel
there is also a simple fix.

 1. Remove the extra channel you got because there was no match using the
    webinterface (mythweb).

 2. Use mythtvsetup to put in the proper xmltvid.

 3. rerun mythfilldatabase.

You can rerun as much xmltv allows you too.

I have not mastered the art of getting EPG info for the channels not
blessed with xmltvid info. So if anyone can help me there I would
appreciate pointers or short descriptions. (I noticed I never had to
insert the network ID anywhere so that might be a clue to me being
clueless for EPG info.)

Hugo.