[mythtv-users] Frontend freeze when deleting recording

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Sun Oct 23 14:06:55 EDT 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 10:41:25AM -0700, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 10:34:33AM -0500, Mercury Morris wrote:
> > My guess is that there are quite few MythTV folks that are not aware of the
> > "delete-a-recording-while-recording" I/O bottleneck.  They, and I, will be most
> > interested in the results you might observe regarding filesystem stability and
> > how fast XFS can delete a recording concurrent with recording a program.
>
> I converted my system to XFS on (software) RAID-5 when I
> installed MythTV and it's been rock-solid.  The box also
> hosts IMAP, SMB, VNC and Apache2 servers, and has never
> seemed to have any problem deleting large files while
> recording.

I had my first hang of this sort in quite a while earlier today and
it has me suspecting that delete-while-recording may not have
anything to do with it (or at least may not be the only cause)...

Like chris, I use XFS, but no RAID.  My hang this morning took place
while I was half-watching low priority shows on my TV while also
going through movie listings via mythweb on my laptop.  The delete
hang occurred when I issued the delete order while waiting for
mythweb to return from scheduling a recording.  There was no
recording in progress at the time and I have my mysql database on a
separate physical hard drive (and separate SATA channel) from my
stored recordings, so it seems extremely unlikely that an I/O
bottleneck would have been involved.  With no knowledge of the actual
code involved, the circumstances of this loss of contact between
mythbackend and the database suggests to me that the actual issue may
be related to deleting a recording while another database update is
in progress.  The apparent link to recording may instead be due to
the database being updated when recordings begin/end.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that