[mythtv-users] Microsoft Remote Keyboard

Lee mythtv at varga.co.uk
Sun Oct 23 08:02:55 EDT 2005

ffrr wrote:

> Oliver Groht wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i'm dealing with the idea to buy the MS. Remote Keyboard for XP MCE.
>> Does anybody have some experience with this device under Linux/MythTV?
>> My Mythbox works very well, but i'm looking a long time for a nice
>> remote device with keyboard,
>> mouse and function keys esp. for Media Center applications.
>>
>> I know this device needs a IR receiver from MS. I'm looking for lirc
>> support, but i think there is nothing
>> for this device. Only for XBOX hardware. Right, or am i wrong?
>

> I have had the following plan for the box that will live next to my
> TV.  Yes, it needs a remote control, but I am so tired of remotes that
> don't cover enough functions, so I was just going to get a wireless
> USB keyboard (I presume like the MS one you mention, although I had a
> Logitech one in mind) and use that.  Sure it's big, but I guess I
> won't lose it that way :-)
>
> Anyway, no need for lirc. It's a real keyboard.   The remote that came
> with my DVB card works the same way. The USB IR receiver is seen by
> linux as a real keyboard.  So using a full keyboard, there will be no
> confusion/tedium mapping key pressings to functions, just use the ones
> you normally use when sitting in front of the computer. p for pause, m
> for menu, arrow keys to move, type data into a field, user the <enter>
> key, and <esc> etc etc

Err, wrong.... The MS MCE keyboard isn't a 'real' keyboard, it that it
doesn't connect to a keyboard/USB connector directly...
Even on MCE you have to install a patch to get the keyboard to work.

The MS MCE remote uses a USB receiver, that does use LIRC. It's a great
remote with lots of buttons and works well with Myth.

The keyboard also uses the same USB receiver (so beware if you're buying
OEM), so it'd have to use LIRC too...
I'm planning on getting one at end of the month, so I'll let you know,
but there were a few messages about this a few weeks ago...

Lee