[mythtv-users] (WAS) Kaffeine (NOW) is KnoppMyth

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 21:42:59 EDT 2005

On 10/20/05, Alex Cruz <alex at wislug.net> wrote:
>  Great news on the DVB!! Now it's looking like you're where I was about 3
> months ago which was "Do I continue using my workstation to mess with MythTV
> or do I build a dedicated unit?" I decided to build the standalong and I'm
> glad I did. Now, I'm not screwing up my workstation when I want to tweak Myth
> or test something. And now that it's no longer a hardware issue, you might
> want to just taking the plunge. My next step is to find a nicer looking case
> and to get a quieter fan for the CPU. It's amazing how noisey those damn
> little fans are :-)
>
> -alex
>
> On Thursday 20 October 2005 05:53 am, ffrr wrote:
> > I got to thinking, maybe I could try knoppmyth fairly painlessly.  I
> > found an old 15GB IDE drive from an old computer and plugged it into my
> > main machine.  I downloaded the very latest knoppmyth (just announced
> > here in a message today), and quickly installed it.  I didn't get all
> > the myth stuff going - like the tv guide etc, just enough to watch live TV.
> >
> > BTW: it allowed me to import my channels.conf, a feature which people
> > here have said is not in the released mythtv version !!!
> >
> > Anyway, the big discovery is...  rock solid pictures.  Not one single
> > damn glitch in sight, nor in the audio either :-)
> >

> > Conclusions,
> > - it can't be signal strength related, so no point in buying a new card
> > - can't be interrupt related - not directly anyway as nothing has
> > changed in my hardware setup or BIOS
> > - kernel is 2.6.13.2, so maybe a newer kernel than the 2.6.11 I have now
> > might fix it (roll on Mandriva 2006 - or else I look at upgrading the
> > kernel - about which I know nothing--- yet)

Just got done reading the book that this (was) and now (is) and am
amazed at the amount of responses...

Anyway...

I completely agree with the dedicated system.  Once you take your
desktop out of the equation, you start looking at a whole different
world of hardware.  Plus, you benefit from placement problems.  You
can grab the noisiest fan on earth, as long as it cools well, you are
good to go for a desktop.  The same applies to a myth server, assuming
you can place it in the attic or somewhere far distant.  But, assuming
you are a set top box type, the noise factor plays into a lot of the
hardware you look at.

Plus, it becomes a hobby.  You can buy a piece here and there and put
the system together.  You don't have to always have it running to "do
business".

Cool