[mythtv-users] which dial-up modem?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 21 19:20:34 EDT 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:

>I have a USRobotics Courier 56K external modem that I believe is in my parents
>garage. It's prbly the best analog phone line modem ever made. I used to
>routinely transfer at rates far above 56K even when people were saying it was
>impossible to even connect at 56K (as did a few of my friends who also had
>this modem), and this is using the correct bit/byte/Kb math conversions.

And compression.  Note that--at least in the US and Canada--it is
impossible to connect at > 53k, even when using a 56k modem.  The
problem is not the modem but the fact that transmitting at speeds
greater the 53k requires more power than the FCC (and whomever makes
these rules for Canada) allows on phone lines.

Mike