[mythtv-users] PVR-500 Only one tuner works

Lonnie Borntreger myth at borntreger.com
Fri Oct 21 19:13:04 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 12:18 -0700, Peter Darley wrote:
> Lonnie,
>
>      Again, please pardon my ignorance. :)
>
>      I thought that the kernel was monolithic and the modules were
> all compiled into one kernel binary?  If so, what should I be renaming?

Most of the drivers and interfaces are built as loadable kernel modules.
Which is what the ivtv "driver" is.

[snip]

>      I get /lib/modules/2.6.12-1.1378_FC3/updates/drivers/media/
> video/ with ivtv.ko and other ivtv related .ko files.  Would these be
> the kernel modules that I would rename?  I don't seem to have any
> other ivtv.ko files anywhere else on the system.

The /lib/modules/<kernel name> is where kernel modules live.  .ko files
and .ko.gz files are loadable kernel modules.  In the dir with the ivtv
files, take note of the file names.  search under that
entire /lib/modules/<kernel name> directory for files with the same name
(like tveeprom).  Those are the ones to rename to prevent a clash.  Once
done, run "depmod -a" (without quotes) to update the module dependency
list.  Then when it tries to load the tuner and such, it will get the
one from the ivtv build.

> Thanks for your patience,

No big.

Lonnie Borntreger