[mythtv-users] OpenGL ATI Radeon MythMusic MythGallery Problem

Lee Koloszyc teething12 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 13:53:32 EDT 2005

>IIRC, the ATI fglrx drivers don't let you use XV and OpenGL overlays
>during the same X session.  So it will depend on the
>
>    Option "VideoOverlay"               "on"
>    Option "OpenGLOverlay"              "off"
>
>options in your xorg.conf file, which are mutually exclusive.  So you
>can have 2D acceleration or 3D acceleration, but not both.  See:
>
>http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Fglrx
>
>I'm not so sure on any of this now, primarily because ATI provided
>rotten support (both in terms of the drivers and when I'd try to
>contact them directly), so I don't use the ATI card in my linux box
>any longer.
>
>HTH,
>Tim

I think this is incorrect though I am not sure.  The OpenGL Overlay  is
not 3d acceleration, but the ability to accelerate 2d video by placing
it as an openGL texture.  I have both OpenGL and XV working on my
machine and get nearly 3000 frames in GLXGears with my Radeon 9200.  It
does play all the visuilizations without any problems on my machine. If
he could post his Xorg.0.log and Xorg.conf it may be eaiser to determine
the problem.  I wonder if he has opengl set to ATI?  In gentoo you can
run opengl-update ati or eselect opengl set ati, not sure about other
distros.

Lee