[mythtv-users] Setting time on backend machine

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 11:59:37 EDT 2005

On Thursday 20 October 2005 11:29, Michael J. Lynch wrote:
> I saw the recent discussion about NTP and something occurred to me.
> I have a VCR (a SONY) that sets it's clock from information
> transmitted in the NTSC broadcasts.  In this area, it happens to be
> channel 3 that is broadcasting the info.  Yes...this means when the
> power goes out and then is restored, I don't have to set the clock
> it just happens automagically.
>
> Anyway, the point of all of this is, if a VCR can do this, couldn't
> Myth do it to?  Does anyone know if the VCR has some sort of special
> hardware that is not available to Myth that allows it to do this?
> Just my 0.02.

this is sorta being discussed on the dev list. basically what it comes down to
is that the time signal sent over NTSC and DVB is supposed to be a GPS time
signal plus buffering and processing time. The issue is it is never really
that accurate, cable channels don't need to abide by this time code and
broadcast stations have stopped paying attention to the the whole start late
end early thing. Your best bet is to use NTP and use the pre-roll/post-roll
or hard time fixes.

Steve