[mythtv-users] mythtv supoprt for lcdproc/other lcds

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 09:25:00 EDT 2005

On 19/10/05, Neil Bird <neil at fnxweb.com> wrote:

>   I asked a short while back about using a small USB LCD display with Myth,
> and got a couple of hints as to what I might look for.
>
>   However, I remain unsure as to what support there actually is in Myth for
> driving these things.  Am I limited to lcdproc, which seems to be unmaintained
> (since early 2004)?  I came across a command line util. which would do for
> /me/, but of course I need to get a hold of the info. in the first place.
>
>   The main thing I want it for is to display track data in MythMusic;  will I
> be able to do that?
>
>   These things aren't cheap (well, not the branded ones) and I'm loathe to
> splash out until I'm fairly certain it's going to be useful.

I just bought a Matrix Orbital MX630

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2954.html

It's a USB device and, with an optional cable, plugs into the
motherboard USB header.  So the install was pretty neat.

lcdproc wasn't a limitation for me - it includes a Matrix Orbital
driver and pretty much just worked.

I'm running Myth 18.1 and the frontend supports the display as follows:

When doing nothing else It shows the time.
When watching a recording it shows the channel on the top line and the
programme title scrolls along the bottom line.
When navigating the menus it shows the current menu option.
When playing music it displays the artist and track title for a short
while (5s by default but you can make it longer I think) and then
reverts to the time display.

I haven't noticed any of the other plugins displaying anything, but I
hardly ever use them, so they may.

I'm running a combined FE/BE and AFAICT the backend doesn't display
anything.  It would be usefull if it could show tuner status for
example.

My reasons for buying it were to see if I could use mythmusic without
turning on my TV, which I can just about do - at least to select an
album or a playlist - and to display the temperature inside the
mythbox, but I haven't got around to setting this up yet.