LVM *was* Re: [mythtv-users] Highest number of simultaneous streams recorded?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Oct 17 12:34:37 EDT 2005

Alex Brekken wrote:

> Thanks Brandon, that makes sense.  For a masterbackend server that
> will probably have at most 2 clients, I don't get the feeling that
> striping the drives is necessary from a performance standpoint.  I'm
> still trying to decide how to tackle the redundancy/backup issue.
> I'm wondering if doing this via RAID is overkill....  Rather than
> introduce that complication maybe I should just manually back the
> drives up every so often.

I go the manual route.  I export my DB to another filesystem regularly
and DVD+/-R the things I have archived in Divx under MythVideo (3-4
files per disk) and I don't really care much if I were to lose my
recordings because it is just TV and the only thing I save long term is
shows for the kids which can always be rerecorded.

Implementing redundancy, raid levels, etc. in Linux seem more hastle
than their worth when I can just back up what is important and live with
losing the rest.

Kevin