[mythtv-users] using a* search algorithm to implement the scheduler.

Lucas Meijer lucas at mach8.nl
Mon Oct 17 04:45:46 EDT 2005

Hey,

I'm wondering what people would think of this idea:

Implement the scheduler as an a* search. Heuristic of a found "path"
could be roughly calculated as:

+ points for a recording a show that needed to be recorded.
- points for not recording the first showing of a show.
+ points for having a show recorded in such a way that it can be padded
with extra time at the beginning and end.
+ points for having a program recorded by a tuner we like.

I'd imagine the default a* algorithm could slash trough the epg search
space pretty quickly, and find the most optimal solution.

Offcourse, it's also a good possibility I'm missing a part of the
problem that would make this implementation not make sense.

If I'd write this, and it would work well, would it get accepted?

Bye, Lucas