[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV cards; model differences?

Nick Rosier nick.rosier at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 20:42:26 EDT 2005

On 16/10/05, Intense Red <intnsred at golgotha.net> wrote:
>    I'm getting ready to build a Myth box and have been lurking on the list
> here for a week or two, reading archives and docs, and trying to get a handle
> on Myth.  I'd like to get some experienced people's advice on tuner cards.
>
>    I'm most likely going to go with a Hauppauge WinTV tuner card because of
> the Myth docs recommendations, but I'm a bit lost on the differences between
> the models of WinTV cards.  I've decided that the 250, 350, and 500 models
> seem to be supported and would do the trick.
>
>    But looking at features, the only differences I detect is that some have FM
> tuners and some don't (I don't see a need for that), and some have a Remote
> Control (which would be nice but I don't see it as mandatory).  Plus, of
> course, the 500 model has the twin tuners, which would seem very handy.
>
>    My question(s): Can you give me some "real world" advice on these various
> cards?  Are there any distinct differences among them (other than what's
> noted above)?  Any general tuner advice that you can shed on a newbie?

250 and 350 are the oldest and best supported; the 350 also have
hardware MPEG-decoding which imho blows all other cards away. I
haven't seen any other video-card yet that can compete with the
quality of that tv-out (maybe some higher-priced cards).
150 and 500 are newer but quite well supported in the new ivtv-driver
(0.4) and should, on paper, be able to give better quality. From what
I can tell, there seem to be more issues getting the 500 working well
(issues are usually only 1 tuner working, no sound etc.. check the
ivtv-list).

Now for real-live experience; I have a 350 and 2 150MCE's. All work
well and I don't see any noticable difference in quality between the
350 and the 150.
As for stability, last weekend I did a "stress" test: simultanious
recoding 3 shows, 2 of them real-time commercial flagging. In the
meantime watching a Xvid-movie with mplayer through the 350 tv-out
(Xv) and compiling some source. My Mythbox just did its job... no
hangs, crashes...

N.