[mythtv-users] Changing channel delay theory

Alberto Alonso sp-23856721 at ggsys.net
Sat Oct 15 15:55:24 EDT 2005

That does make more sense, if the read and write operations
are buffered it does force for a long delay. That's what
I was missing. Maybe it would help keeping the disk io
buffering small, the OS already has caching that would take
care of disk io issues.

As for the nuv encoding/decoding I don't know enough on how it
works so that's probably the reason why I didn't expect delays.
If it operates on each frame then there should be no delay, if
it operates on a group of frames then it definitely needs a
buffer.

The pause, fast forward or rewind issues are what got me
confused. They should not play a role in the delay, as the
same concerns occur when you are at the beginning or end of
the buffer. The pause and rewind operations actually would
help to build the buffer, so they are a benefit. The forward
operation would just keep the stream at the end of the buffer
(just like you get right now if you try to fast forward beyond
what the buffer holds)

Thanks,

Alberto