[mythtv-users] MythTV on Xbox, again

Victor sphing at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 18:10:50 EDT 2005

               Getting Linux to Boot

In order to get Linux to boot you need either Cromwell or
xbeboot.  I personally use Xromwell (xbe version of
Cromwell).  They are very similar in their configuration,
but I'll stick to Xromwell here on out.  Xromwell is a grub
type boot-loader so its configuration file (linuxboot.cfg)
is similar to grub's. Check out:
http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Cromwell_Manual#Linuxboot.cfg_syntax
for syntax.

I personally use the UXE to run Xromwell. UXE will take
control of the xbox and look for E:\debian\default.xbe to boot.
Xromwell is hardcoded to look for E:\linuxboot.cfg.  If
Xromwell finds your linuxboot.cfg a FATX option will appear.
Xromwell also allows you to load your kernel over bootp; I've
never done this so I'm not sure how good this is.  Instead I
compiled a kernel and copied it to E:\ and netbooted the
filesystem but not the kernel.

               Compiling your kernel

I'm a big fan of the 2.6 kernel (not to say that I'm not of
the 2.4 kernel) so I compiled a 2.6 kernel for my xbox.  At the
time of setting up my xbox the most recent was 2.6.12.  However
as of now (10/14/05) there are xbox patches up 2.6.13. Download
the patches:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=54192&package_id=147485

and patch your corresponding kernel version.  Then load up your
kernel with Xromwell, if your kernel is working, you should see
"Unable to mount root=...".

                    Kernel Options

FATX - FatX is not needed if you don't plan on manipulating the
harddrive, but I'd recommend compiling it as a module as it is
experimental and I have seen some problems with it.

ReiserFS,ext3,ext2 - Not needed since there will be no mounting
of any of these filesystems.

ALSA - I would disable this.  I didn't and ran into some problems
with alsa 1.0.19b.  Make sure you install 1.0.18 as I know this
works.

Processor Type -> Subarchitecture -> XBOX - I'm pretty sure this is
enabled by default when you run the xbox patch, but just make sure.

i2c - This is required to be able to control your fan speed and
your led.  More on this Later.

                         Gentoo

Gentoo's emerge is a very nice utility that just wont run on 60megs
of RAM.  If you are netbooting, you can just chroot on the NFS server
and run the emerge from the NFS Server.  If you aren't nebooting,
make an NFS server on the xbox, and chroot from another machine that
has mounted the xbox harddrive somewhere.  Before you emerge make sure
you are using the xbox make profile. See:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_for_Xbox

                              i2c
GentooX's Shallax wrote some very nice utilities to control the
hardware on the xbox.  They can be found at

http://cvs.xbox-linux.org/viewcvs.py/xbox-linux/shallaxs_i2c_stuff/

Feel free to email if you have more questions.

Vic