[mythtv-users] LiveTV, Recorded TV, no Audio - request for help

Eric Brandt ebrandt at thebrandtfamily.com
Fri Oct 14 11:24:39 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I know this topic has been covered many times in the archives, but none of
the solutions seem to fix my situation. I have searched the archives, and I
have read and reread Jarod's how to.  Basically, I get no audio on live tv
or when watching a recorded show (may be because of no audio on live tv when
I recorded it?). I _do_ get audio when watching a dvd via mythtv, both with
xine and mplayer.

Here are the specifics of what I've done and what I've tried:

* I followed Jarod's audio section in the howto with success at every step
(Jarod: _Great_ how-to by the way).

* ALSA is configured, and a can hear music with aplay as described in
jarod's howto

* I have sound disabled in the KDE WM, as per Jarod's HowTo

* I added the 'most basic' .asoundrc file as described in Jarod's HowTo
(even though aplay was working before I did this).

* My sound card is a turtle beach montego II, which FC4 identifies as
Aureal, Semiconductor Vortex 1, module: snd-au8820

* I am using a Hauppauge PVR-150, and FC4

* I have set the mixer up as specified in the mythtv HOWTO using KMix (also
did same with alsamixer)

* In MythTV->settings->general, I have audio set to ALSA:default, and mixer
set to 'default'. I have also tried unchecking the 'user internal volume
controls' (no success), and I have set mixer controls to both pcm and
master, neither with any success.

* I read in the HOWTO that there should be no cabling required from the
PVR-150 to the sound card (in fact, there are no pins on the PVR-150 to even
do this).

* As a test, I tried to use mkmovie to transcode a recorded program to AVI
and watch it on my windows box to see if I had any audio. The windows box
basically didn't play it because it didn't find the right codec, so no
useful info there, but I tried.

* As stated before, I _do_ get audio when watching a dvd thru MythTV, with
mythtv configured either for mplayer or xine.

What else can I try, I am emailing here only because I've basically run out
of ideas and not sure how to troubleshoot any further.

Last bit of info, don't know if its useful. but at times in the shell that I
launch mythfrontend from, I get a line saying "WriteAudio: buffer underrun".
Dunno if that means anything or not, or is even related to this issue.

If my sound card is too old and tired to work, just say so and I'll have a
good reason to upgrade, but the mythtv docs say any sound card that works
with ALSA will work.and since aplay works, I am assuming I am working with
ALSA.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help and am looking forward to moving my
mythbox from its 'setup and testing' state over to my actual TV for daily
use.

-Eric.