[mythtv-users] scheduler and sports

Neil Cronin mythtv at rackle.com
Fri Oct 14 03:31:26 UTC 2005

It doesn't look like you can extend a recording with 0.18 (at least,
not that I can see in the UI.  perhaps there is an API for this?).
But you don't need to extend the recording per se, you just need to
start a new one, right?  I'll look at the code to see what updating
the database while a recording is happening would do.

psuedo code for a baseball game:

27,57 * * * * /usr/bin/perl /home/mythtv/check-for-extended-sports-broadcast.pl

if (currently_recording_sports())
 teams = determine_teams()
 score = get_current_score_from_espn.com(teams)
 inning = get_current_inning_from_espn.com(teams)
 if (inning<>'F' || inning<9 || is_tied(score) &&
nothing_scheduled_for_next_timeslot())
 schedule_new_program() /* or extend_current_recording(), if possible */
 }
}

I guess football would be harder, but if
nothing_scheduled_for_next_timeslot() returns true, you could err on
the side of recording.

-neil