[mythtv-users] Apple iMac Remote

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 13 12:46:39 EDT 2005

On Thursday 13 October 2005 12:32, cryptodigm * wrote:
> Are there any Mac enthusiasts out there that know the detials on the
> new
> iMac remote?
> http://www.apple.com/imac/frontrow.html
>
> It's Apple, so it's sure to be expensive, but if it works on bluetooth
> or a
> LIRC capable IR freq, I'd love to use one with myth.
>
> Anyone know where to find more details on it or how to get one?

From what I've read, it's an IR remote, which means it can probably be
used with almost any LIRC-compatible receiver (except possibly the ones
that come with most Hauppauge cards, as they only receive RC-5 IR
protocol, which I doubt is what Apple's remote sends).

As far as getting one, at the moment I doubt you'd be able to get one
without purchasing a new iMac.  However, with these new Apple products,
a 3rd-party market "design-alike" market usually crops up pretty
quickly, so there may soon be some remotes on the market that have a
similar design but offer features that Apple's doesn't.

With built-in IR and iSight, the new iMac would make a sweet frontend,
if a bit pricey.  Though, if you figure in the cost of an equivalent
flat panel display + frontend PC, it's probably not that expensive.
Anybody care to comment on how quiet (or not) recent iMacs are?

-JAC