[mythtv-users] Re: Who wants to help me develop a new theme? It's time.

Andrew Hogue hogue at cs.yorku.ca
Thu Oct 13 04:00:35 UTC 2005

Hi,

I would totally be willing to help out, I have lots of experience
with openGL which I would think would be great to use since I'm sure
that most people have some form of openGL (I'm not talking about
rendering hundreds of thousands of polygons but rather a few textures
on simple quads)....

The reflections in frontrow are simple and easy to do and yes a
little celeron could probably do that in software at full speed.

Anyways, let me know where I should begin.... :) I think however that
it goes a bit beyond just a simple theme, it might require a bit of
an overhaul on the interface in order to piece everything
together.... not sure about that though.... either way... adding
animation to the theme would be very simple if we used openGL.

-- Andrew

On 12-Oct-05, at 11:52 PM, Brad wrote:

>> The gods of User Experience have spoken (
>> http://www.apple.com/imac/frontrow.html ) let's offer them the
>> highest
>> form of flattery.
>>
>> Lets see if we can get a hold of some full res screenshots, and put
>> together a team to turn this out quickly. Please reply to this email
>> with a list of your skills.
>
> My very first thought when I saw that was "Wow, that looks nice...
> I wonder if I could make a MythTV theme like that...".  That said,
> I don't think I can. :-) But I'd be willing to try. I've already
> done one MythTV theme - which I use everyday -- and love. Its a far
> cry from the silky goodness that Apple is serving up though.
>
> There's a Front Row walk-through here: http://www.apple.com/imac/
> tour/ . I'm not so sure about some of the sound effects, but
> certainly its the simplest and cleanest UI I've seen for this type
> of application. I love how your desktop transitions to Front Row...
> that's cool (although not necessary for MythTV). I really like how
> it is very iPod-like to step through various screens. I don't think
> we could get some of the eye-candy on my poor little Celeron -- I
> guess they are using Quartz Extreme for some of the reflections/
> transitions/etc.
>
> Brad

--  Andrew