[mythtv-users] Channel Deletion and Wildcard Channel Rules - 2 annoying problems!

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 02:05:51 UTC 2005

On 13/10/05, David Bennett <davidbennett1979 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   A small annoying problem I have been having, but since I am NOT
> using ZapIt (in Japan, so xhtml), I can't seem to figure it out.
>
> 1) Deleting Channels -> I have deleted these unneeded channels a
> billion times from MythWEB. But every time I run mythfilldatabase they
> are back (both on the front end and in mythweb) they are back.
>
>  Am I missing something? Is there somewhere else I should be deleting
> channels? Should I be doing it directly from the database (if so,
> how?)

For editing the database, I suggest using something like phpMyAdmin
(there are other programs available like the MySQL control centre).

The CHANNELS table contains all the defined channels you have. You can
select those you no longer want and delete them.

If you have xmltv files in your mythtv directory these may have xmltv
ID of the channels you want listings for. I suppose these file don't
want channels in them you don't want.

> 2) Channel Rules -> I asked a while back how to search for a program
> and then record it. I was told to setup a Wildcard Search from the
> front end since it is not possible on MythWEB. After I set it up, I
> cannot find it on any menus but it just works. Now that I want to make
> some changes, I don't know how to alter/delete these search and
> records. Again, is there some menu somewhere that has them, or do I
> have to manually do it through the database (if so, how).

If using the database to edit the channels, you can use it to remove
these. The custom record rules are stored in the RECORD table, with
the name of the rule in the TITLE field, and the actual rule in the
DESCRIPTION field. If you delete or edit this entry, your schedules
should update accordingly.

Nick