[mythtv-users] Re: OT: nVidia and XvMC?

Howard Christeller howard.christeller at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 01:15:04 UTC 2005

> Also, searching various nVidia-related boards didn't yield any
> definitive answers to my problem, but it did mention a few people
> having problems with XvMC with various incarnations of nVidia's
> drivers. Also, nothing about my specific card (6200). So, if anyone
> has a similar setup to mine, and you have XvMC working, could you
> please tell me which version of nVidia's drivers you're using? Thanks!
>
> I'm using a 6200 and an Athlon XP 2500+ on Debian, so it's XFree86, rather
than X.org <http://X.org>. Nvidia driver version 7174.

My TV (Panasonic PT-47X54) does 540P and 1080i. It will accept 480i/p, and
convert it to 540p. It won't do 720p at all.

I can get a 1080i screen using component out, but playing video locks it up
hard. I'm using 540p over the DVI output, and the 2500+ just keeps up.
Skipping forward or backward on 1080i material causes it to stutter briefly,
until it settles down. 720p is slightly better, and 480i is no problem at
all. Everything is converted to 540P. It works well enough that I'm waiting
before upgrading.

I did need to recompile MythTV to get XvMC to work.

The new nVidia 6150 chipset with integrated graphics looks like a possible
upgrade. It appears to be designed for HDTV, unlike the GPUs where the
primary aim is 3D gaming performance. I like my 6200, but get the feeling
that HDTV is an afterthought. At any rate, I'll upgrade when I see a good
1080i solution at a budget price.