[mythtv-users] OT: MythTV Home Automation

Tim Litwiller timlitw at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 23:47:52 UTC 2005

> I have heard
> about Linux computer based answering machines, that will effectively give
> you voicemail. It seems to me that any computer can discern one touch-tone
> from another. So why can't I use specific tones to run specific commands.
> -(this is one of the few times I wished I had chosen computer engineering
> over mechanical engineering)- Surely some one has thought of this before.
> Thanks for the replies, and keep 'em coming. -Mat

what you need is asterisk - then program an autoattendant so regular callers
your phone rings several times and then goes to voicemail - but if you press
a key sequence - you get a voice menu of things you can do. then connect
that to agi scripts that do the things you want.

I'm not doing any home automation with mine yet. But I'm working to ward
that.