[mythtv-users] Converting MythWEB WAP theme to chtml

Joe Buckshin jbuckshin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 14:23:54 UTC 2005

On 10/12/05, Ciaran <ciaranj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/10/05, David Bennett <davidbennett1979 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry I should rephrase what I wrote:
> >
> > I believe that when people mention WAP, they usually mean both WML and
> > the WAP protocol (or if not WML then some kind of HTML that is not
> > HTML compatible. It uses different tags for accepting inputs etc.)
> >
> > Basically what I am looking for is an HTML theme that displays the
> > same information that the WAP (whatever is in the WAP directory) with
> > the same dimensions. It looks perfect on Firefox which is able to read
> > the WAP page.
> >
> > Ideally I would just copy the HTML page and readjust it for the phone
> > browser, but since the WAP theme (ie. the wap theme directory) looks
> > like it would fit nicely on my mobile screen, I would like to make the
> > code HTML compatible & sent over IP (ie. not WAP).
> >
> > Does this make any sense? Any ideas?
> > Is there perhaps a quick way to pear down the HTML theme to something
> > similar to whats in the WAP theme, or is this not so easy?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > David

> > > I'm not quite sure where this confusion comes from, but WAP is a
> > > transmission protocol rather than a display meta-language, but the
> > > code seems to have this apparent confusion too :(

> > > MythWeb appears to support two mobile styles, the first one is 'WML'
> > > and the second is 'HTML'.  Both can be sent over WAP or over IP
> > > (GPRS).  It is dependant on the formats the mobile device can support.

> > > The mobile device sends HTTP-ACCEPT + User-Agent headers up to the
> > > mythweb application.  Mythweb interprets these two headers and decides
> > > a) Is this a mobile device and b) What type of content should we send
> > > down.
> > >
> > > i.e. If the User-Agent = Nokia something-or-other it says, okey we
> > > have a mobile device, and if there is a HTTP-ACCEPT header of
> > > text/html, it will send down the Mobile HTML theme otherwise it will
> > > send down the WML theme.... i've submitted a patch to SVN/Trac that
> > > fixes the case where the mobile device submits a HTTP-ACCEPT of */* so
> > > doesn't get sent the html, when it should.

> > > Does this help at all ? [disclaimer: this understanding has come from
> > > taking apart the code in SVN, I may be wrong, I didn't write it :) ]
> >
> Hmm, apparently I wasn't that clear, there is already a mobile-html
> theme [I believe] that looks great on my phone, (which happens to
> support both html + wml anyway) layout wise I think its pretty close
> to the wml theme.  So you should be able to start with the php that
> generates that and convert it to generate C-Html (since you mentioned
> i-mode I assume thats what you really want?)
>
> Unfortunately I've not got access to the code right now to check that
> what I'm saying is true, but I think what I'm saying is correct,
> hopefully someone who knows more than me can say for sure :)
>
> --
> - Ciaran
> [...]

MythWeb Theme rundown:

"Default"
Outputs: HTML, JavaScript, CSS
Intended Browsers: Full blown browsers (IE, FireFox, etc)

"vxml"
Outputs: VoiceXML
Intended Browsers: MythPhone

"wap"
Outputs: HTML
Intended Browsers: newer Mobile phones (openwave 6+, opera for mobile) and PDAs

"wml"
Outputs: WML
Intended Browsers: Mobile phone (which do not support html or xhtml-mp)

The wap theme is misnamed.  As stated above, WAP is a protocol just
like HTTP.  I would suggest creating a new theme (perhaps chtml would
be a proper name) and using the wap theme as a guide.  You will also
need to modify the browser detection code in init.php and mobile.php
to detect your phone from the user agent and to define your new theme.
 One problem is that there is no mime type for chtml (in most cases
text/html is used) so using htp_accept probably will not work.  Also,
I would suggest starting with an emulator rather that using the phone
to develop and debug.

As an aside, I'd like to see what people think about using the WURFL
project http://wurfl.sourceforge.net to detect browser features.  We
should be able to detect standard browsers, mobiles, and most
supported capabilities.

Joe