[mythtv-users] Re: OT: upgrading kernel problems / atrpms fedora mirror repo problems?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Oct 12 14:17:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 11:22:44PM -0400, Noel Murphy wrote:

> I have gotten myself into a weird situation. I had a working FC4 /
> myth 18.1 box, but for some reason it somehow got messed up and would
> not boot.
>
> I have since just formatted the drives (after slapping the drives
> into a different machine and backing up some stuff) and did a fresh
> install.
>
> However, now I have the following situation.
>
> I'm following Jarod's guide. I did the install from the dvd. After
> the "initial boot", I end up in the following problem.
>
> Kernel 2.6.11-1.1369 boots my machine no problem. Unfortunately, that
> kernel is too old to get the ivtv modules.
> When I upgraded my kernel (to 2.6.13-1.1526) my machine gets to the
> ui screen where all the services start up, but then goes completely
> black instead of bring up the login screen. The LED on the monitor
> goes orange (indicating there is no video signal) and i can't seem to
> do anything. I can ssh into the machine, but can't find anything
> obvious as to what went wrong.
>
> Now, I was pretty sure that I had a 2.6.12 kernel installed on this
> box before the "big format", so I tried to install one of the two
> 2.6.12 kernels available, but for some reason, I can't seem to get
> yum to install it. Doing a "yum list available" does not list any
> 2.6.12 kernels, but I can see them if I point my browser to the
> correct url.
>
> Now, even weirder is I just carried on with the guide (knowing full
> well there was going to be stuff I couldn't install), I installed the
> "ivtv" package. This in turn installed the "ivtv-
> kmdl-2.6.12-1.1456_FC4" module and thus in turn installed the
> corresponding kernel. Why it found it this way, but not when I
> specifically asked it to I'm still confused on.
>
> However, this kernel has the same problem as the 2.6.13 kernel (Blank
> screen instead of login screen)
>
> So, all this being said.
>
> 1. Anyone know what is going on with my machine and the "latest"
> kernels? What should i check / look at?
> 2. Anyone know why i can't install the older kernels? I'm assuming
> "yum install kernel-2.6.12-1.1447_FC4" should work? I get a "nothing
> to do" message.
> 3. Anyone got any other ideas as to what i can do???? I'm probably
> not comfortable with compiling my own kernel / modules.

You didn't mention your hardware. I had some issues with 2.6.13-1.1526
on x86_64 hardware.

I would try to install FC4 and do only a yum update w/o adding any
kernel moudles or any other 3rd party stuff. If you hit the problem
already in this state (and it looks so), please report to
bugzilla.redhat.com including dmesg/hardware info etc.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net