[mythtv-users] FC4 and HD-3000 - my steps to success... and a couple questions.

ToadMazter toadmazter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 21:00:52 UTC 2005

After months of lurking around this forum, and after a several failed
installations, I FINALLY have watched some HDTV via Myth! WooHoo!!!! I'm not
out the woods yet, nor even close to being able to present this project to
my wife, but I thought I would share some of the extra steps I had to do
make it work. Hoping this might keep a few folks from having to spend hours
scouring the web for answers...
 My dedicated backend setup:
 Tyan S2466N
Dual AMD 1600's
512 MB RAM
Nvidia FX-5200
(2x) 160GB Western Digital IDE (RAID 1 - software)
3ware 9508-SMI 8 port SATA RAID card
(4x) 200GB Western Digital SATA (580GB RAID 5 - hardware)
NEC DVD burner
Intel Pro 1000XT PCI-X NIC
(2x) pcHDTV HD-3000 (connected to UHF antenna)
Sounblaster Audigy 2 (not working yet, seems to be a PCI resource conflict)
Hauppauge PVR-500 (ivtv drivers not installed yet... too afraid of conflicts
with the HD3000's!)
 I followed Jarod's awesome FC4 HowTo guide. Without that document, I would
have never been able to get up and running. However, it did seem WAY too
easy at section 10 for the HD-3000 setup. Here's a couple things I had to do
to make it work.
 1. When attempting to configure my capture cards in mythtvsetup, I would
get "Could not open card #0" and "Permission denied" errors in the capture
card settings. What I eventually figured out was that the "mythtv" user did
not have permissions to access the DVB devices. I found a hint on the pcHDTV
forums that suggested I edit *50-udev.rules* file located in *
etc/udev/rules.d/* . Assuming your myth username is "mythtv", add *
GROUP="mythtv"* to the last line of the file so that the line looks like
this:
*KERNEL=="dvb*", PROGRAM=="/etc/udev/scripts/dvb.sh %k", NAME="%c",
GROUP="mythtv"*
Then reboot. This should give permission to the mythtv user to access the
DVB devices. You should see the card name listed with the type ATSC.
 HOWEVER, after running a "yum update" again, it removed the changes, and I
had to go back in and edit the file again. Anyone else know a better fix for
the above issue, or how to make my fix permanent?
 2. So, I was really excited once Myth could access my HD-3000 cards. I then
proceeded through the rest of the setup steps, but once I got to the Channel
Editor step, my card would never lock in any channels. It seemed to be going
through the scanning process, but just would never find any. After further
research, I found out that just having DVB drivers for the HD-3000 in the
kernel wasn't enough to make the card work, but that it also needed
firmware. So, I did a *# wget*
*http://pchdtv.com/downloads/firmware.tar.gz*<http://pchdtv.com/downloads/firmware.tar.gz>in
the
*lib/ *directory, and then a *tar -xf firmware.tar.gz *to* *extract the
three files into the *lib/firmware* directory. (You should probably *# rm
firmware.tar.gz* to remove the tar file from the *lib/* directory). Now,
when you do a channel scan, it should find some!
 Here's where my question is: Before I can do a channel scan, I am required
to create a "Video Source" (Zap2it) and then assign it to my DVB cards in
the "Input connections" screen. However, after doing a scan I then have
duplicate channels; the ones from the scan and the one's from the Zap2It
database. How do I combine the two so I don't have duplicates? Or, is it
possible just to get programming info for the digital channels OTA? I'm
really confused here on this...
 3. This one is minor, but it did stump me for a few minutes so I figured I
should share. When attemtpting to record content for the first time, I
noticed the backend was throwing out permission errors on my */video/recordings
*directory. Make sure you have created */video/recordings* and *
/video/buffer* , and then issue a *# chmod a+rwx /video/recordings *and *#
chmod a+rwx /video/buffer *so that MythTV can write files to the
directories.
 Last question.... I really want to use my PVR-500 with the two HD-3000's.
But last time I installed the ivtv drivers it broke the DVB drivers. Anyone
else able to share their steps to success with the two cards?

This is fun (?)