[mythtv-users] OT: MythTV Home Automation

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Tue Oct 11 20:51:31 UTC 2005

Thom Paine wrote:
> On 10/11/05, *Mat Kyne* <matkyne at hotmail.com
> <mailto:matkyne at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have come to assume that the people that frequent this list have
>     interests
>     similar to my own. (The ever-persistent desire to make one thing
>     do many
>     things). So I am looking for some advice. I would like to automate
>     various
>     appliances around my house using X-10 modules, but have them
>     controlled by
>     my computer. I am aware of Mister Home, and it looks cool, but it
>     doesn't
>     seem to do what I am looking for.
>
>     What I would like to do is call my computer, and via touch-tones
>     control the
>     X-10 devices. I have DSL, and NEVER use my home phone line. So if
>     I hooked
>     it up to a cheap $10 modem card, would it be possible to do this?
>     An example
>     might be to call home and turn on the AC on the way home from
>     school by
>     punching in *9. Or be able to call home as I am pulling out of the
>     drive way
>     in the morning to turn off the porch light by pushing *8.
>
>     It seems to me that this is old technology, so it might already be
>     out there
>     - maybe even so old that no one knows about it any more. (Like
>     Windows 3.1)
>     Any pointers as to where to look would be greatly appreciated. -Mat
>

> Oh, I'm all over this. I had this working fantasically when I rented
> an apartment, but now that I bought a house, I haven't had the time to
> get it set up on a larger scale.
>
> You want to use Heyu, and basically everything can be controlled from
> cron or commands via ssh. I didn't have the phone part, as I was more
> happy with being able to ssh in and turn the module on or off.
>
> I also had motion sensors in the spare rooms, the hallway, the
> bathroom, and other seldom used rooms to turn the lights on and off.
> And I had the outside light controlled from the remote keychain. I
> programmed in an advanced feature for my then girlfriend, now wife
> that when she went to the bathroom after 11pm, the light would
> gradually brighten up to 50% and after she left it would dim back down
> to off. This was alot better for her eyes. I was also into
> homepower.com <http://homepower.com> and was looking at saving money.
>
> Since this isn't anything to do with mythtv, feel free to email me off
> list and I'll gladly help you out all I can.
>
> -=/>Thom
>

> --
> -=/>Thom

I think that controlling home automation from a MythTV menu is a great
Idea and should stay on the list.  Keep replying to the list, but always
find a way to tie it back in.

Here's somethings that I'd like to see.
1. A home automation menu in MythTV, where you could get information
from sensors or control modules placed around the house.  this would
open the gateway to...
2. A sensor that lets you know when the garage door is up.
3. A list on the lights that are currently on in the home.
4. A UI for setting crons that would turn on/off modules.

--

	Thank you for your time,
	--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.