[mythtv-users] OT: MythTV Home Automation

Mat Kyne matkyne at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 11 20:00:05 UTC 2005

I have come to assume that the people that frequent this list have interests
similar to my own. (The ever-persistent desire to make one thing do many
things). So I am looking for some advice. I would like to automate various
appliances around my house using X-10 modules, but have them controlled by
my computer. I am aware of Mister Home, and it looks cool, but it doesn't
seem to do what I am looking for.

What I would like to do is call my computer, and via touch-tones control the
X-10 devices. I have DSL, and NEVER use my home phone line. So if I hooked
it up to a cheap $10 modem card, would it be possible to do this? An example
might be to call home and turn on the AC on the way home from school by
punching in *9. Or be able to call home as I am pulling out of the drive way
in the morning to turn off the porch light by pushing *8.

It seems to me that this is old technology, so it might already be out there
- maybe even so old that no one knows about it any more. (Like Windows 3.1)
Any pointers as to where to look would be greatly appreciated. -Mat