[mythtv-users] Not your everyday newbie questions

Simpson, Richard Richard.Simpson at wgint.com
Tue Oct 11 17:52:43 UTC 2005

> From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
> [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org]On Behalf Of R. Stavros Bezas
>
> For the last few weeks I have been browsing every single website I
> can possibly imagine that deals with creating your own HD PVR HTPC.
> Without owning a HD set or service presently I find myself a touch
> limited when it comes to specific hardware connections/setups. I am
> well versed with the signals themselves but none of the company
> proprietary things that will definetly impact how you set up your box.
>
> I'd like to lay out my understanding of how to setup a system
> (backend and fronted in one box to start) so I can see
> exactly what I
> need to make my decisions on as well as to help out others in my
> position in the future. Please add any input you can.
>
> Starting from the signal itself. I plan to get DirecTV but
> may resort
> to Comcast if tree cover is an issue. Let's just assume DirecTV is
> available. The signal will come into through the wall via RG6 and I
> am assuming I will need to terminate it at their Satellite box.
>
>  From the Satellite box which method do I use to bring it into the
> MythBox? My first thought would have been through Component/DVI or
> other video transport methods but reading through I find myself more
> confused as talk about Firewire comes into play as well as inputting
> the signal directly into the box. All sorts of questions about
> encrypted signals now come into my mind. This topic is very
> important
> to me as I can't seem to get a straight answer.
> (I plan to be purchasing a Samsung 61" DLP (HLR6167W) which contains
> almost every sort of connection available and the rest of the
> equipment has not been purchased so the sky is the limit when it
> comes to type of setup)
>
> After I have the signal into the MythBox (for simplicity
> let's assume
> just one tuner card, although the software side of multiple cards
> perplexes me as well!) it obviously needs to get to the television.
> This is where a video card that supports a HD-OUT method (component,
> HDMI, DVI, etc.) comes in. This sounds quite simple to me,
> but again,
> I believe firewire has entered the mix and that just confuses me as
> to how that could interact. If you do use firewire on either input/
> output, would I still need a tuner card or video card?
>
> Other issues of note:
> As I've said I've done some research and come to see that the pcHDTV
> card does not decode NTSC (SD) signals. Does this mean I will
> have to
> have multiple cards to get the full spectrum of channels from my
> service? Is the control seamless through the Myth interface? My goal
> is to make this box operate as simply as possible. I currently use
> ReplayTV with a basic analog signal, it could not work more simple.
>
> When it comes to installing my Satellite service, is there a certain
> [...]
Hi Stavros-

I cannot answer all your questions, but I can share my experience to date. I use a pcHDTV HD3000 for OTA HD broadcasts, and also have a PVR-150 for capturing off cable. I have a Samsung 61" DLP as well, and I can tell you that once you have seen HDTV on this TV you will find ED acceptable, but you will not be satisfied with SD. So if you have a good selection of HD/ED programming, don't bother with SD. I use an nVidia 5200 video card with a DVI output to drive the Samsung at its native HD resolution (note that a PVR-350 and many other cards do not support HD resolution). It took a little research to set up xorg.conf, but the Samsung works surprisingly well with a DVI input.

As far as hardware vs. software, I found just the opposite to be true. You will find you will spend a lot of time getting the right drivers, setting up xorg.conf properly, and understanding/configuring MythTV. MythTV has a ways to go before it's seamless; I'm having trouble right now getting Myth to switch easily between the HD3000 and PVR-150 for live TV viewing.

Good luck!
Richard.