[mythtv-users] Transcoded video has junk at bottom

Dan Wilga dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Mon Oct 10 14:45:18 UTC 2005

I recently upgraded to the latest ATI proprietary driver, and
discovered that I could no longer control TV-out overscan on my
9100IGP-based onboard video. But that's not why I'm writing, it's
just the reason I started noticing this problem.

When I watch transcoded (mp4) recordings, the last 10-20 screen lines
now appear to be lagging behind the rest of the video. It's as though
they're being cached for 1-2 seconds. I can only assume I never
noticed this before because I was previously able to move them
off-screen by adjusting screen size (which I can no longer do.)

I actually like having the extra screen size, so I'd like to figure
out why this problem happens. Here are some interesting data points:

- It only happens on transcoded recordings, not Live TV or things left in mp2.

- I have some recordings that were transcoded several months ago, and
they are OK. So either something changed in mythtranscode, or I
changed something in my settings. Based on the dates of my
recordings, it looks like the problem started sometime between July
13th and August 17th. I have looked at the changes made to
mythtranscode in SVN during that period, and don't see anything that
seems relevant.

- Both my Default and mp2->mp4 transcode settings are set for 720 x
480 screen size.

Any ideas?
Dan Wilga                                         dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Web Administrator                             http://www.mtholyoke.edu
Mount Holyoke College                                Tel: 413-538-3027
South Hadley, MA  01075            "Who left the cake out in the rain?"