[mythtv-users] not getting channel reception on high cable channels

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 9 19:20:27 UTC 2005

It must depend on the area.  Although I don't have
digital cable, a friend of mine just moved into a new
place, where his roommates do.

He plugged his TV into the cable outlet in his room,
and received full analog cable, channels over 40
included, all unencrypted.  Because of that, he has no
interest in getting another STB from Comcast (the main
STB is in the living room).

I'm wondering if perhaps it's a problem with the tuner
definitions for the card, or maybe the fact that it's
setup for "us-cable-hrc".  But then again, I'm not
totally sure, since I follow the instructions from
Jarod Wilson's HOWTO, with the exception that I
compile the ivtv driver by hand (as I have a 350 and a
500), and it works flawlessly for me.  Also, I have
the most basic of configurations, analog cable, and no
intention to go to digital TV until there is a Linux
compatible card that can do the decryption and work
with MythTV (since I have three tuners, I really don't
want three STBs and IRBlasters or serial connections,
or Firewire connections).

-- Joe