[mythtv-users] ITX vs ATX for dual-DVB system

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 16:32:14 UTC 2005

On 09/10/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Nick wrote:
>
> >Just wait until
> >they start pumping out proper 1080 video and all those people who
> >bought HDTV-ready plasmas and LCDs (with a native v-res of 720 pixels)
> >realise they've been shafted...
> >

> I'm completely amazed at how few people I've talked to feel like they
> got "shafted" when they purchased their 720p displays.  Now that Samsung
> and Mitsubishi have 1080p DLP's and 1080P LCD's are starting to become
> commonplace, I've talked with a bunch of people who own 720p TV's and
> they all seem to just see it as "normal."

(Note: Bear in mind these comments are from the UK where there is no
HDTV service available.)

Having talked to a number of retailers in my area and asking them
"what does HD mean to you" I was told that as far as they're concerned
(assuming they even understood what HDTV is), they (the manufacturers)
still haven't nailed down what it means when you buy a display sold as
HD-ready. Assuming we're currently about 6 years behind the States (I
first saw a HDTV in San Francisco in mid-2000) I'm certainly going to
be interested in following its uptake.

With Sky initially launching HD on a few channels next year, it seems
to me that the current displays being sold as "HD-ready" are basically
inimum-spec inventory clearouts before the service actually starts and
consumers are more educated in what they actually require (in terms of
various inputs and resolution),whether they can perceive a difference
between 720 and 1080 video, and of course the price differential.
(Please note I haven't seen 1080 video scaled down to 720 on a HDTV).

> It seems that people have become so accustomed to buying a computer
> that's obsolete by the time they get it home that they even see the
> 1080p displays as "normal technological progression."  Some are even
> considering upgrading their 720p displays.  Pretty amazing that people
> think nothing of a $3000 TV becoming obsolete within a couple of years.

I'm hoping that with HDTV defined as a standard, and with HD-DVD
coming too, good 1080 displays are available quickly here in the UK.
The current throw-away culture presents a massive issue (especially
when something breaks down but is not economically viable to repair
due to parts costs set by manufacturers) so I'm hoping that when I do
buy a HDTV set, I'm happy to keep it for the forseeable and don't have
that 'if only it was 1080' nag in the back of my mind..

Nick