[mythtv-users] PVR-500 Only one turner works --- Hardware of Software problem?

Chris Gackstatter Chris at coldspringdirect.com
Sun Oct 9 15:49:47 UTC 2005

I am trying to determine if I have a faulty board or I just have a setting
that does not work.

I am following wilsonet for FC4 instruction.  This works great for me as I
have the identical hardware/software  (FC4 and two captures cards PVR250 and
a PVR500)

I recently installed the PVR500 following wilsonet and also found on the
mythtv user mail list the instruction on updating the firmware for the
PVR500.  When I did this I had both tuners on the card working well using
the cat /dev/video1 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg suggested by willson.
Unfortunately in my haste to get the card working I screwed up something in
my mythsetup that caused my hard drive to be filled and I was only able to
access the system in fail safe mode.  I corrected this problem by deleting
the MySQL database.

Just to make sure everything was working correctly I reinstalled the
firmware for the PVR500 and ran the cat /dev/video1 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg
test again  This time only one of the tuners (video2) worked, video1 just
gives a gray screen.

I have checked and re-checked.  All my setting re follows the recommendation
of wilsonet.  Normally I would assume that I have a setting wrong, but being
I have seen these settings work before by backend crash I am beginning to
suspect a hardware problem.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Chris