[mythtv-users] ITX vs ATX for dual-DVB system

Stutty stutty at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 15:43:59 UTC 2005

I originally went this route, but I'll never be completely satisfied
until it is completely silent, and it isn't there yet (The 3.5" HD
hums just too loud). I've have finally decided to bite the bullit and
built a server in my loft. This solves all sorts of problems (loads of
space for disks, loads of room for DVB cards, close to the arial for
good reception, etc. etc.).

I'm actually using a EPIA SP 8000 for the server, does a grand job,
using the Active PCI riser card you highlighted, works a treat. Things
to note:

I got my riser card from another retailer, and it did not work on the
EPIA SP, however Tranquil were kind enough to send a replacement and a
prepaid envelope for return of the duff one.

DVB cards seem to get very hot, especially if lying horizontally (as
they will with this riser card), with no ventillation (you don't want
fans in the living room), and in a small form factor case. I'm having
'issues' with the card in my living room setup (its a hush case), and
I'm pretty sure they are temperature related.

I'm using an EPIA MII 12000 for the living room PC, and it doesn't
really provide a perfect solution, but it is adequate. Turning on
deinterlace & doing lots of On-Screen-Display (e.g. browsing channels)
changes cause lots of prebuffering.

Hope this helps!

Paul