Fwd: [mythtv-users] Re: Trouble getting component outputs to work with nVidia 6200

Mark Linford mlinford+mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 18:51:44 UTC 2005

On 10/6/05, Thom Sturgill <thsturgill at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, the first parameter after the name is the pixel-clock, and while
> it affects the horizontal sync it is not the actual HorizontalSync value. My
> system accepts a Horizontal Sync range starting at 30.
>
> I raised the pixel clock to 26.9 and achieved 30.1, which made this mode
> acceptable (I did this remotely, so I don't know what it looks like yet) I
> hope it will fix the overscan problem.
>
> On 10/5/05, Alan Anderson < andersonas at adelphia.net > wrote:
> >
> > I am far from an expert but I have been twiddling with this myself. The
> > first
> > paramater 26.625 on your mode line needs to be in the HorizSync range it
> > is
> > not.
> >

> > >Section "Monitor"
> > > Identifier "Monitor0"
> > > VendorName "Some Vendor"
> > > ModelName "HDTV"
> > > HorizSync 31.5 - 37.9
> > > VertRefresh 59.9 - 60.1
> > > ModeLine "720x480" 26.625 720 752 824 896 480 481 484 497 -hsync
> > >-vsync
> > >Now, at first, this failed completely, and X wouldn't even start. After
> >
> > >checking out my Xorg.0.log file, I saw that it didn't like the hsync
> > >range of my 720x480 Mode. However, it did like the default 800x600
> > >mode.! So, just for fun, I changed
> >
> > Change the first paramatere to be in the HorzSync range (or adjust the
> > HotrzSync range) and restart X and then look at the Xorg.0.log to see if
> > the
> > 720x480 is acceptable. Then if its acceptable try to use it.

> --
> --Thom Sturgill

Sorry it's been so long to get back to you all, but I've finally gotten my
component output to work correctly with my HDTV (I was testing in on my
computer's monitor via its component inputs before). Once again, I booted
using a Windows drive, ran Powerstrip, and found the correct modeline for it
(1280x720, 720p). With a few tweeks to my xorg.conf file, I now have it
working in glorious 720p (the best my HDTV will do)! Here's what my
xorg.conf looks like now:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Dell 2405FPW (Analog)"
DisplaySize 520 330
HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
# Option "dpms"
ModeLine "1280x720_panasonic" 74.250 1280 1376 1424 1648 720 725 730 750
+hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "NvAGP" "3"
Option "TVStandard" "HD720p"
# force card to use svideo dongle
Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
Option "TVOverScan" "0.0"
# for svideo with dongle
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
Option "NoDDC"
VendorName "Gigabyte"
BoardName "nVidia GeForce 6200"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x720_panasonic"
EndSubSection
Option "TVStandard" "HD720p"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"

EndSection

Thanks again to everyone for their help. Now, since regular TV looks so
crappy at 720p, I'm off to start installing my pcHDTV 3000 card :)

Mark