[mythtv-users] Need suggestion for Frontend only fanless solution

Patrick Watson patrick at patrickwatson.org
Sat Oct 8 02:06:48 UTC 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:
> On Friday 07 October 2005 20:26, Patrick Watson wrote:
>
>> bill peck wrote:
>>
>>> On 10/7/05, *Bruce Smith* <blubdog at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:blubdog at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Will it play shows from the backend that have been transcoded to
>>>     MPEG-4?
>>> No it will not.  The roku can only decode MPEG1 and MPEG2.
>>>
>> Unfortunately that kills it for me. MPEG-4 and similar codecs like DivX,
>> Xvid, etc are a must-have for me. MythMusic and MythGame are nice too. :)
>>
>> Patrick
>>

> is mpeg-4 a cpu problem or?
I'm not sure if you meant that as a "why doesn't MPEG-4 work?" or a "Why
is MPEG-4 a must have?"
As far as why it doesn't work, I have no idea. The only experience I
have with this device is this email thread. As for my reasons: I
transcode everything to MPEG-4 so that it doesn't eat up as much disk
space. Thus, if I were to loose MPEG-4 playback, most of my library
wouldn't be playable.

Patrick