[mythtv-users] HD from Comcast ...was:Positive Experience with pcHDTV

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 00:56:04 UTC 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 20:33, Patrick Watson wrote:
> Steve Adeff wrote:

> >> Say what?!?  Can I use the HD-3000 to get HD from my Comcast cable is a
> >> similar way?
> >
> > yes, I currently use my HD-3000 to get HD from Comcast here in Boston.
> > They, in fact broadcast a few more channels in HD as well. they might be
> > the other OTA stations in the area, but I've recently moved here so I
> > have no idea. Though I think some are not, but they are not encrypted
> > either, my TV's ATSC tuner picks them up as well.
> >
> > From what I understand, the FCC requires cable companies to provide all
> > the local OTA stations on their cable lines untouched (except maybe their
> > tuning frequency?). This includes HD and SD stations.
>
> I'd be careful about investing money on the chance that you'll manage to
> get QAM tuning working. Comcast uses different frequencies and
> encryption settings in their various franchises. While Steve is lucky
> enough to get unencrypted stuff on a frequency he can tune, its not
> guaranteed to be the same elsewhere. On the other hand, I'd be thrilled
> if I could drop the firewire capture I'm using for Comcast HD and use
> QAM. If you do give it a go, make sure to let use know the results.
>
> Patrick

well, the OTA stuff shouldn't be encrypted, everything else is a nice bonus. I
plan on getting a regular HD box from them anyway for the other HD channels
and other digital cable channels, but I'd like to have the ability to record
a few HD shows at a time, so getting this card working is pretty important.

that said. I just did a scan from within MythTV and it came up with none of
the actual working frequencies needed, but oddly enough associated the right
channels. so theres definitely something wrong there... now I have to edit
the database by hand....

Steve