[mythtv-users] Re: Comcast being coy?

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 18:22:57 UTC 2005

On 10/7/05, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does comcast charge a DVR fee on top of the box charge?

No, I don't believe they do - just the $10/month for the DVR box.

One other thing I forgot to mention about the craptasticness of the Comcast
HD-DVR:

It apparently also requires a box at the head-end to function correctly.
Last week the cable was out at my sister's place for about 2 hours. So we
figured no big deal, we'll just watch something that's already recorded.
NOPE. Turn on the TV and DVR and what do we see? A dialog box in the middle
of the screen that says "This channel should be available shortly". No
keypresses on the remote or front of the DVR had any effect whatsoever. I
couldn't even see what had been recorded, let alone watch anything. If the
DVR doesn't work when the cable is out, doesn't that effectively remove one
of the best features of the system? That's just retarded if you ask me.