[mythtv-users] FAQ

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Oct 7 18:01:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:56:48 +0100, Chris Martin wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I've had a go at doing an FAQ for this mailing list.  Consider it in a
>rough state at the moment with more questions to be added.  If anyone
>has any suggestions then please let me know.
>
>it's at http://users.ox.ac.uk/~wolf1473/MythFAQ.html

On a quick look I would say that the answer to question 1.5 needs some
work.

Myth will not set up without:
a)	defining some cards, sources and inputs; and,
b)	running mythfilldatabase.

I do not think you can get past there without doing those steps. That is
an underlying structural failure of the program. I think that you should
be able to use mythtv to watch live TV *without* having a program guide in
place.
So far, I don't think there is a way around it. My proposed solution to an
American living in Germany was to set up an account at zap2it using his
parent's zip code, and then just ignore the guide...Not exactly an elegant
solution and fraught with problems too.

What needs to be done is to allow splitting of the system from the guide.

I have a similar sort of problem. The PVR will be a home. I don't even
have dialup set up there at the moment. I suspect I will have to do some
mysql dump and restore from CDRW between work (DSL) and home to keep the
PVR box happy.

Not to discourage you with this comment. The idea of this sort of FAQ is
great.

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638